[Nitro] RFC: Basic Points for a Better Nitro/Og

George Moschovitis george.moschovitis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 04:15:00 EDT 2007

> The main thing is that Og needs to have it's own repository. By
> separating Og out from the Nitro framework, it can grow on it's own
> merits. This in turn will come back to benefit Nitro, as a matter of
> an independent development track, and as people adopt Og as their ORM
> of choice, they will also in turn be attracted to Nitro later for
> their website needs.

Ok, I will do this.

> Another thing to consider is using Subversion rather than Darcs. I
> know Darcs is great. I miss it too in some respects. But it may be
> easier to share in development if there were in fact a central
> Rubyforge-hosted repository. This isn't as big a deal as the first
> point, but it's worth some serious consideration.

Perhaps a readonly SVN repo  like James suggested is a better idea.

> Lastly, the website, http://nitroproject.org, HAS TO BE FINISHED!!! I
> can't stress that enough. An unfinished website is a big turn-off. It
> immediately reflects on the quality of the software itself. It's

I don't have much time to work on the site.  Does anyone have any time to
work on this?

Finally, let me say that I do have plans for creating some dynamic
> websites down the road, and I want to use Nitro, of course, but I've
> really been waiting for the framework to mature. I wish I could help
> more in that regard, but working on Facets is about all the time I
> have to contribute these days. Yet Nitro needs to mature. In fact, it
> has to mature if intends to be a truly viable option.

I would think that Nitro is an ideal solution for you. It is the most
integrated framework with facets. And it is relatively mature. Moreover, I
will have one more developer working on-top of Nitro full time from October
1st, so expect more progress. Hopefully, I will have small amounts of money
to sponsor some nitro/og bounties, or we could even build a small Nitro fund
for stuff like the site or documentation (like the Rails guys did when they
where starting).

food for thought,