[Nitro] Nitro Ruby1.9/JRuby compatibility

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 13:23:24 EDT 2007

Dan North wrote:
> I've been talking to Ola Bini - one of the core developers of JRuby -
> about officially supporting nitro. His position is that he doesn't
> consider it stable enough yet, but he's keeping an open mind if it
> stabilises again quickly.

I had a short exchange with Charlie Nutter some months back on JRuby +
Nitro as well.  Basically, we need to run the test suites under JRuby
and report what breaks and what the errors are.  (The JRuby team are
keen and having as many tests and use cases as possible.)

I then got stumped trying to figure out how to run the
Nitro/Og/Raw/Facets test suites. :(

> Can I +1 the idea to hold back on new features for a bit and just
> stabilise what's there and document / increase test coverage?

Yes, please.

> Once we get back to a suitable level, I'll be happy to put it in front
> of him again and try to get official support on JRuby. I think an
> announcement like that would do a lot to raise the profile of nitro and og.

Very much so.

> It would be great to see you guys at NitroConf Europe next year :)

:)  Indeed.

James Britt
----
"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly
  universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by
  uncertainty cannot be the truth."
  - R. Feynman