[Nitro] Nitro Ruby1.9/JRuby compatibility

Dan North dan at tastapod.com
Thu Sep 20 11:01:09 EDT 2007

I've been talking to Ola Bini - one of the core developers of JRuby -
about officially supporting nitro. His position is that he doesn't
consider it stable enough yet, but he's keeping an open mind if it
stabilises again quickly.

This was because he was unable to find any up-to-date documentation and
the build fell apart all over the place due to bogus usage of gems (i.e.
it mostly worked once we had GEM_HOME set up, but rails and other apps
don't need this if the gems are in the default location). Not big things
to fix but absolutely critical for a successful first impression. This
time I wasn't lucky.

Can I +1 the idea to hold back on new features for a bit and just
stabilise what's there and document / increase test coverage?

Once we get back to a suitable level, I'll be happy to put it in front
of him again and try to get official support on JRuby. I think an
announcement like that would do a lot to raise the profile of nitro and og.

It would be great to see you guys at NitroConf Europe next year :)

Cheers,
Dan