[Nitro] OG: Howto start debugging from within a spec using netbeans....?

Jonathan Buch john at oxyliquit.de
Wed Sep 19 04:34:30 EDT 2007

Hi,

>> It's taking me days/hours to find/discover things that I could find
>> quite quickly if I could step through the code.... _please_ any tips?
>
> I'm not ruling out the dumb/ignorant explanation :)
> But, I've found that renaming the spec files to *_spec.rb solves all
> my problems.
>
> In the absense of another solution... can the decision not to use this
> extension please be reconsidered - I know it'll probably make
> something in the setup/install scripts a real pain

I don't think so, I even was for staying with tc_* for the specs, but
*_spec.rb is good too, makes imo a good distinction between helpers and
real specs.  It probably also makes the rakefile easier as it just has
to react on those with a glob Dir['test/**/*_spec.rb'].

> Given spec's are witten in reverse you might like to follow Jim Weirich's post:
> http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/Tech/Ruby/FlexMockAndFluidDynamics.red

I already used the RSpec mocks, I think it'd be good also not to depend
on too many libraries just for testing, but that's just me again.

> Anyway, it is now nice to be writing a spec, set a break points in the
> code, ctl+shift+f6 and proceed to exactly which line of code caused a
> problem.

NetBeans seems to be getting quite nice... I might consider this once in
a while.  That I need a real breakpoint is however _very_ seldom, due to
whatever reason.  I use 'real' debuggers on a daily basis when I'm coding C...

--
Feel the love
http://pinkjuice.com/pics/ruby.png