[Nitro] Nitro/Og specs: Mock framework

Dan North dan at tastapod.com
Sun Sep 16 18:49:32 EDT 2007

Don't worry. The rspec mocking framework won't be going away any time soon.

The conversation was about where to focus our energies as rspec
developers. Given that ruby has two very good mocking frameworks in
mocha and flexmock, we decided to devote less energy to rspec's built-in
mocking framework and focus on the story runner and decent Test::Unit
integration.

rspec's mocks will be supported, and rspec will continue to use rspec
mocks internally to describe its own behaviour. David Chelimsky (one of
the rspec project leads) added support a while ago for alternative
mocking frameworks, which means you can use whichever you prefer and
rspec will play nicely with it. You can of course still choose to use
the internal one.

On a purely personal level, I prefer mocha - mostly because I come from
a Java and JMock world and mocha is a very natural progression of that
into ruby. However I've heard good things about flexmock so I wouldn't
want to tell you to use one over the other (or over rspec's own mocks).

So to answer your questions: a) it has been decided that we will
continue to support rspec's mock framework, and to encourage and accept
improvements to it, and b) nitro is welcome to choose whichever mocking
framework it prefers, safe in the knowledge that rspec will work with it.

Cheers,
Dan