[Nitro] Nemo svn repo

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 06:07:31 EDT 2007

On Sep 14, 12:18 am, "George Moschovitis"
<george.moschovi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom,
> where can I find the current nemo source code?

Well, I just got word from Tom Copeland last night. He's not going to
let me take over the Nemo rubyforge project after all. Kind of irks
me, and really gets me thinking about how Ruby is painting itself into
a sort of corner. Think about this. RubyGems is now Ruby's official
package system. Rubyforge is the official gem repository b/c RubyGems
defaults to it as it's remote location. So unless one has a Rubyforge
project, and more precisely, gem packages for download in that
Rubyforge project, one's project might as well not even exist. So
Rubyforge alone is responsible for what is and is not extant in the
Ruby world.

And yet they take no responsibility for keeping the repository clean
and up to date; and they have no policy for dead projects. Case in
point: nemo. If you go to the site: http://rubyforge.org/projects/nemo/,
one can see clearly the project is dead. Kevin Howe put a big fat
***DEFUNCT*** in the project description. And Kevin Howe himself is no
longer anywhere to be found --his email address is defunct; and I even
put an APB out for him on ruby-talk, twice, to no avail. The project
itself is a plugin for Wee, so I even made arrangements with Michael
Neumann of Wee to host the old nemo.gem as wee-nemo.gem, so it
wouldn't be totally lost. Hek, I figured, it might even revitalize the
project. But apparently even that wasn't good enough.

A case of sour grapes? Sure, a little. But it would be different if
Kevin's nemo was a current and active project. It clearly is not, and
so it just doesn't seem right that I can't name this project nemo b/c
of it.