[Nitro] Og standalone experience - whew - so good... but hard to get anywhere as a newbie.

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 16:14:19 EDT 2007

David Williams wrote:

> 1) There are a lot of dead ends that a newbie encounters when trying to
> understand Og.  There's the beautiful http://www.nitroproject.org/ with
> documentation with version 0.42 (but the version number is very hard to
> find).  The online repository seems to have not been altered since June
> 2007.  When I try to add a note to the Fora (prior to which I was required
> to get an OpenId) I find that having composed a post, the post button is
> ignored (Firefox / Windows).  A few words on the front page describing where
> things are would be so golden.  Sometimes just a sentence or two of accurate
> status can be so helpful.
> 2) When I do a gem install og I seem to get Og 0.41, yet I see mentions of
> 0.50.  What is the latest release?  When is 0.50 going to be released.  I
> worry when I see so much heavy lifting and refactoring going on in the
> codebase that 0.50 is not going to be for a while.  This means that I don't
> know what to concentrate on 0.4x or 0.5.

3 & 4 ? ;-)

"0.50" is in the darcs repository. George and I are working on a
release as we speak. WE will also be updatin ghte website soon. Stay

> 5) The most active forum seems to be this one
> (http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/nitro-general) but I can't see how to
> search it!  This makes a lot of the knowledge tied up in it inaccessible.

Your welcome :-)

> 6) Finding a few paragraphs that describe and give examples of polymorphism
> and schema_inheritance is quite a challenge.  Having looked around a little
> I have gleaned snippets from tests.  Could someone consolidate these and put
> them into the source code so RDoc at least can find them?
> 7) I grabbed the latest version from the darc's repository, since people
> were saying "Don't use the 0.4x, use the latest".  This was tricky itself...

Ah, you found it.

> but that's another story.  But I found that SchemaInhertance doesn't seem to
> work.  (Og::SchemaInheritanceBase is missing?). And I can't find any test
> files to see how I should use polymorphism.
> 8) I installed the latest version via gem.  I made the gems myself according
> to the instructions I found.  But this was tricky since a) the rake script
> seems to assume a unix-y shell and so didn't work too well and b) once I was
> doing it on a Linux box the code to transfer the .gemspec's into the dist
> directory didn't seem to work.
> If any of this can be delegated to me with guidance please give it a shot.
> I think my main hope in this is to get someone - George maybe - to write a
> short paragraph that can be put around (on rubyforge and nitroproject)
> saying "Hi!  The team and I working on stuff like crazy.  Here's where we're
> at.  If you just want to play use 0.4x - be aware that ___ and ___ have been
> massively re-written also don't worry about the startup speed, that's been
> fixed too. If really need the new features, you'll need to pull from the
> repo, however, be aware that ___ and ______ are not working right now.  ____
> will be fixed tomorrow, but _____ doesn't look too close at all.  If you
> want to contribute or discuss, use ____ forum, since we don't look at the
> others too much.  My timeframe for a general release for Nitro and Og V0.50
> is _____."  Or something.  This would have made my entry into Og much more
> easy!

Well, I hope half the paragraph won't even be necessary here in a
couple weeks.

I think once George and I have straightened out 0.50, then we'll be
able to get a better fix on how to create a larger community effort.
So hold tight just a bit longer. I just got Nitro running on Facets
2.0 (mostly) so that's a good sign.