[Nitro] New Blog Article About Nitro/Og

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 09:50:21 EDT 2007

On Oct 26, 1:25 am, James Britt <james.br... at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.urubatan.info/2007/10/ruby-out-of-the-rails-nitro-and-og/
> Perhaps folks here could add comments to answer some of the questions
> and concerns raised in the posts, specifically about automatic code
> reloading, and the claimed lack of anything like Rails' migrations.

To be honest. At this point, I don't think Nitro is ever going to make
it beyond niche use. I've been following Nitro for a long time now,
and while it certainly has improved a lot, there are no signs that it
will ever move past the "some day" state it is in right now. Just look
at the evidence:

  * A webpage that is never finished
  * Documentation that is never written
  * An API that is never quite stable
  * A revolving door of developers

George has been talking about the release of 0.50 for around a year,
but it doesn't seem to be any closer today then it was back then. I've
talked to him about some of the stuff and he seems receptive, but then
nothing ever happens. I guess he's too busy and that's understandable,
but that doesn't change the facts.

Today we have a number of new, strong web frameworks coming on the
scene, such as Merb and Sinatra. Nitro is getting squeezed out. Unless
things turn around and soon, I fear it's just going to fade. I think
ruby-doc.org has been the biggest boon at keeping Nitro relevant, but
I'm not sure that will last either. ruby-doc.org is getting it's own
new competition, such as http://www.noobkit.com/.

I don't mean to be a nay-sayer. I'm just calling it like I see it.
Maybe you don't agree with me (and actually I hope you don't!), but
it's something to consider in any case.