[Nitro] Nitro on Apache

Arne Brasseur arne at arnebrasseur.net
Thu Oct 18 23:06:05 EDT 2007

They run on debian. I don't have access to the main apache config. I can
only use a web panel to select a directory as document root, the version
of PHP and if I want to enable FastCGI on that domain. That's it. The
rest has to be done with .htaccess files.

They make a big thing out of supporting Ruby/Rails, but in the end the
support totally sucks. They have a watchdog process that seemingly
randomly kills user processes, so every few pages you get a "server 500"
because the fcgi process got killed.

But they're cheap and I payed two years in advance so I'll have to live
with it a little longer. It's Dreamhost BTW, don't go there if you're
serious about using Ruby stuff.

I've been looking at it the last few days and have more or less
functioning CGI/FastCGI adapters. They need more testing. After that
I'll send a patch and write something on oxywtf about deploying with fcgi.

Thanks for responding!

(ab)