[Nitro] Nitro on Apache

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:49:08 EDT 2007

On 10/3/07, s.ross <cwdinfo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you ever tried to make an app thread-safe? The dependencies are so
> bizarre that the testability of the app vastly increases in complexity. Bugs
> are subtle and don't happen often -- even then, they are not readily
> reproducible. Worse, they may not even be in your code!

Are you talking to me or to Robert?  You attribute the quote at the
bottom of your post to me, but those aren't my words -- they are

I have made apps threadsafe.  IOWA is threadsafe, and IOWA apps are
generally threadsafe.  It's not a terrible nightmare, but often there
are simpler alternatives, as you suggest.

> This can be a nightmare for request/response cycles that typically take
> milliseconds and for which a multiprocess alternative exists.

It can be a nightmare for a lot of reasons.  The main complains about
the multiprocess alternative are the management issues.  Managing your
pool of backend processes, monitoring their individual health,
stopping/restarting, sizing the pool to the loads, etc....

These are all issues that I am working towards solving with Swiftiply,
regardless of what framework one uses.

Kirk Haines