[Nitro] Nitro on Apache

s.ross cwdinfo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:49:25 EDT 2007

Have you ever tried to make an app thread-safe? The dependencies are
so bizarre that the testability of the app vastly increases in
complexity. Bugs are subtle and don't happen often -- even then, they
are not readily reproducible. Worse, they may not even be in your code!

I've been a proponent (in the past) of some kind of MT Rails, but the
more I think about injecting mutexes or bracketing sections of code
with semaphores, etc, etc, hoping I've made my code reentrant, the
less I like it when compared to the multiprocess model. Note also
that a good deal of any Web app is made up of instance objects which
are typically not long-lived and don't benefit from MT. So you get to
think about a whole different set of things: Where do I store app-
global data and how do I store thread-local data?

This can be a nightmare for request/response cycles that typically
take milliseconds and for which a multiprocess alternative exists.

Just my $.02