[Nitro] Nitro on Apache

Robert Mela rob at robmela.com
Wed Oct 3 09:08:35 EDT 2007

fcgi is not worth the trouble.

I suggest running Nitro standalone and using Apache's reverse proxying
features as a front-end.

With Apache 2.2 there's mod_proxy_balancer, which is *very* nice.

With both Apache 2.0 and 2.2 you can use mod_rewrite like this:

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName robmela.com
  ServerAlias www.robmela.com
  ServerAlias blog.robmela.com
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteRule ^/admin(.*) https://nb.robmela.com/admin$1 [L,R]
  RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:9001/$1 [L,P]
  #ProxyRequests off
  #ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:9001/
  #ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1:9001/
  #ProxyPreserveHost on
</VirtualHost>

There is one caveat for heavily loaded sites or applications with
long-running pages... which I'll get into later as I'm writing an Apache
/ Mongrel how-to that covers some gotchas.