[Nitro] Revisiting some Og issues again: RFC

Mark Van De Vyver mvyver at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 18:44:22 EST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 9:10 AM, Judson Lester <nyarly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 8:22 PM, Trans <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This is what I'd like to do with Nitro's repo and start thinking of
> > Nitro as an umbrella repo which contains a number of separate projects
> > instead of a project in itself.
> >

> I understand the "one roof" idea, but I don't see it's appeal.  Why do you
> want to see an "umbrella" project?  Does Facets belong inside the Nitro
> tent?  If not, then why does Og?    It seems like both Nitro and Og might be
> better served if they were separated, with Nitro being a sort of
> first-client for Og, in terms of testing, features, etc.

I think I posted a list of Ruby ORM projects some time ago - quite a
long list.
Og stood out as unique in the approach taken, and more general than
most others. DrySQL, MagicModels, Sequel and AR are notable too.
Obviously there will be niche segments that projects will occupy, but
I do wonder if there isn't _potential_ for efforts to coalesce?
Will that happen?  That probably depends on how development occurs and
on how any community operates.

Exploring alternative ideas, individual initiative and innovation are important.
My starting assumption is that, at the moment, less fractured ORM
development efforts could be a net positive.
I do wonder how Og under Nitro might accelerate and facilitate this?
Of course Og might be trageting a some niche, but from my reading of
the code it seemed to be more generalized than specialized.

Of course it might be that approaches are so different among ORM
projects that there is no melding possible, but from what I've seen in
the Sequel project that isn't the case - though at the outset it
didn't look too promising.

another 2c ;)

Mark