[Nitro] Revisiting some Og issues again: RFC

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 08:24:52 EST 2007

On Nov 28, 3:22 am, "George Moschovitis"
<george.moschovi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was under the impression that a seperate repo for Og was in the
> > making, any news from the trenches? Trans? George?
> Tom is doing some Nitro related work at the moment. When he is finished with
> this, perhaps he can work on creating a separate repo for Og.
> I have no time to do this myself, but I will gladly help Tom.

This is what I'm thinking for that.

One of the nice things about SVN is that is can house sub-projects,
ie. and you can check out any part of a repo separately from the rest.
This is unlike Darcs which requires us to check out the whole she-bang
--which is exactly why we don't a separate development track for Og.

So I'd like to setup an SVN repo on Rubyforge under the the nitro
project. However, we don't want to loose distributive scm either --
that's why we all love darcs. Well, we can retain dscm if we use git
and svn-git. I love darcs, but the tide is with SVN and the future
looks to be going to git*. I see git as the progeny of darcs, so to me
using git instead of darcs is (mostly) just taking a step sideways.

So the idea then is that we have a central svn repo and we us git, via
svn-git, to work with it. I realize it's off the beaten track, but I
think in the end it's probably the best all around solution.

* albeit mercurial (hg) is giving it a run for the money --however it
lacks bidrectional svn sync.