[Nitro] Revisiting some Og issues again: RFC

Arne Brasseur arne at arnebrasseur.net
Tue Nov 27 23:50:03 EST 2007

Mark Van De Vyver schreef:
> Hi Devs,
> Reviewing some posts over the last few months, I've made a summary (in
> no particular order) and proposal.
> I've not quoted names since this i just my impression.
> Observations:
> - There is widespread interest in Og as a standalone project.
> - Og is incorrectly considered as being bound to Nitro.
> - Specs and developer level documentation are scarce.
> - Intermediate level documentation of Og is scarce, i.e. for people
> wanting to write user level docs.
> - Confusion exists about what version of Og is 'current'.
> - Confusion exists about what the Og roadmap is.
> - Darcs may be a barrier to entry (cf svn, git, mercurial...?).
> - Og needs a stable branch and a development branch.
> It seems there was some interest in volunteering to help on different
> aspects, of the above, but this might have changed over the last few
> months.
> Is it worth considering setting up something like Og-dev on google
> code or some such service, calling that the development branch and
> inviting committers, Rubinius style?
> This would allow people to tackle any of the above issues they wished to.
> Given this would be aimed at the intermediate/developer level much of
> the results of this effort would feed into a stable branch as things
> are ironed out?
> Mark
Hi Mark, devs,

I was under the impression that a seperate repo for Og was in the
making, any news from the trenches? Trans? George?

This project does have a history of not giving anyone direct commit
access. I'm not sure if this is more a technical/security issue with the
current hosting of the repo, or rather a very deliberal policy.

Since there's not much reaction, positive or negative, I would suggest
you just go ahead and do it. Set up a development/experimental Og branch
somewhere that is more accessible to developers. My impression is that
any 'should we do this' type of questions don't get much feedback here,
but any tangible contribution is appreciated. If you can get more
developers involved it can only improve the project in the end.

Arne Brasseur
arne at arnebrasseur.net