[Nitro] Plone

Robert Mela rob at robmela.com
Thu Nov 1 11:37:53 EDT 2007

I've done some light investigation of Plone and am wondering why I don't
just use that.

The path to that answer leads goes through the ecodiversity of the open
source landscape, the question of sunrise and sunset technologies, and
the agony of trying to balance picking the best with picking a
popularity/mindshare winner.

It passes through the language war swamps, where the best and the good
exhaust each others energies, while the mediocre evades engagement and
is first to reach stable ground on the other side.

What I keep hoping for is from the wild fragmented experimentation of
the Open Source stacks that one thing will succesfully put these three
things in place

1) Solidly great design
2) Process, stability, documentation
3) Mind share & momentum
4) The supporting ecosystem of polished applications & components

I think these things evolve in that order, though the most successful
frameworks seem to compromise on step #1.

Only Zope/Plone seem to cover all four.   Nitro and PHP occupy
non-overlapping sets -- Nitro's got #1, PHP has #2 thru #4.