[Nitro] script/ vs helper/ vs script/helper

Arne Brasseur arne at arnebrasseur.net
Sat Jun 23 05:05:37 EDT 2007

George Moschovitis schreef:
> arne, I like Tom's proposal! script/lib sounds great to me. What do
> you think?
>
> -g.
Sounds good, only that script/ won't contain much, if anything.

>       script/lib/spec/layout.rb
>       script/lib/spec/wrap.rb
>
>     if you really feel it necessary to have another striation. But I
>     wouldn't bother unless you have 3 or 4+ spec helpers.

Well currently we have 2, I wrote one for the cookie spec which I'm
waiting to send until this is resolved, and Jo mentioned some custom
asserts that should be converted to spec helpers soon, so that makes 4.

I like lib/ in that it makes clear these are no stand-alone scripts. I
don't like that it adds another directory, I like to keep things as
simple as practical.

The main 'problem' I think is that we share testing infrastructure over
4 in theory separate projects (Nitro, Raw, Og, Glue). Normally the most
logical thing is to put these spec helpers somewhere under spec. But
since these 4 projects are maintained under one tree, it makes sense not
to duplicate this, so it has to go somewhere under the top level directory.

Still I think it's a good compromise, standalone scripts go under
script, general infrastructural helpers go under script/lib, and once
script/lib gets crowded we start moving stuff to script/lib/something.

I will create patches for this. I will keep the replace script for the
moment, until I have more confidence that darcs can be used equally well
in all situations. I noticed some difficulty in using darcs replace with
a custom regexp for denoting tokens.

(ab)

--
Arne Brasseur @ your service