[Nitro] Maybe I'm cranky ... (Re: blog example)

Reid Thompson reid.thompson at ateb.com
Wed Jun 20 19:34:24 EDT 2007

James Britt wrote:
> George Moschovitis wrote:
>
>> Dear devs,
>>
>> I just pushed the updated examples dir. Have a look at the blog example. I
>> plan to work a bit more on this, but it already demonstrates some nice
>> nitro/og practices. If you have any questions or suggestions regarding this
>> example, please let me know.
>>

> I pulled the darcs repo and went to try out the blog example.
>
> I depends on assorted 3rd-party libs that are not part of the darcs tree.
>
> Since I wanted to run the example against the repo, and not my Nitro gem
> installation, I skipped calling 'rubygems'.  However, that means none of
> the assorted dependencies get loaded.
>
> My workaround is to explicitly unshift the various gems lib paths into
> the load path so that the needed files get found.
>
> I'm wondering, though, if it would make sense to just bundle these
> dependencies (xmlsimple, RedCloth, facets ) in a subdir of the examples,
> and have the example code load them from there.
>
> This means more stuff to download when doing the initial darcs pull, but
> it might be worth it if it makes running the examples easier for lazy
> bastards like myself.  It also ensures the right versions are used, and
> that any errors or quirks are due to the darcs code, not external libs.

I second this.  I was in the process of writing up an email describing
the initial failures that I  ran into re getting the blog example
running.  A repo/*/example/blog/README noting the 'extra' files that
would 'normally' be expected to part of the production environment's
runtime but that were included for 'conveniences' sake would be great too.