[Nitro] Maybe I'm cranky ... (Re: blog example)

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 19:50:22 EDT 2007

George Moschovitis wrote:
> Dear devs,
> I just pushed the updated examples dir. Have a look at the blog example. I
> plan to work a bit more on this, but it already demonstrates some nice
> nitro/og practices. If you have any questions or suggestions regarding this
> example, please let me know.

I pulled the darcs repo and went to try out the blog example.

I depends on assorted 3rd-party libs that are not part of the darcs tree.

Since I wanted to run the example against the repo, and not my Nitro gem
installation, I skipped calling 'rubygems'.  However, that means none of
the assorted dependencies get loaded.

My workaround is to explicitly unshift the various gems lib paths into
the load path so that the needed files get found.

I'm wondering, though, if it would make sense to just bundle these
dependencies (xmlsimple, RedCloth, facets ) in a subdir of the examples,
and have the example code load them from there.

This means more stuff to download when doing the initial darcs pull, but
it might be worth it if it makes running the examples easier for lazy
bastards like myself.  It also ensures the right versions are used, and
that any errors or quirks are due to the darcs code, not external libs.

James Britt

"Design depends largely on constraints."
  - Charles Eames