[Nitro] Newbie Impressions

Dan North dan at tastapod.com
Thu Jun 14 18:06:15 EDT 2007

Hi George.

I would suggest keeping the wiki public, and then think about locking it
down if it gets abused (which is unlikely).

DHH did a very smart thing in the run-up to Rails 1.0, which was that he
committed to "not break the book". In other words, the RoR book - which
was published to coincide with the 1.0 release - would be the reference
point and the development team would not break compatibility with
anything in it. After 1.0 he was free to move things forwards again, but
it made the statement that he was fairly happy with the shape of the
framework.

I think you would gain a lot of momentum with Nitro if you (and some of
the more enthusiastic writers!) were to start documenting how you think
Nitro should be used, and then committing to "not break the wiki", sort
of thing.

Cheers,
Dan

ps. You will also find that some people will self-select as "wiki
gnomes", keeping the place tidy and making sure the content is
reasonably consistent. I don't know where they come from, but I have
eternal respect for them.