[Nitro] how to initialize @color and make it visible into the template?

Jonathan Buch john at oxyliquit.de
Wed Jul 18 02:43:36 EDT 2007

(sorry for the delay, I've gots teh work and your

> Indeed, that's made it. I made a mistake as I took the example from
> tc_element.rb and spark as such. It is without the backslash. I'm now
> able to use the variable within a <?r ?> or a controller.

I think G fixed that recently in spark (at least I have seen fixes
like that while I skimmed his patches).  Ah no, that might have been
in the documentation of Elements.. yes.. yes..

>> Well, we aren't actually working on making Nitro elitist.  ;)
> I understand your point of view :)
> Nitro offers many possibilities and does so much out of the sight of the
> user, that is why i'm not always sure how to handle nitro. In my
> opinion, the best documentation is the code itself.

I wouldn't exactly say 'best', in Nitro I never really had to look up that
much source, it used to 'just work' with whatever I did.  :P
That won't produce 'optimal' code as one misses out on some stuff, but
generally it makes fun and gets stuff done.  :P

With Og I have had more arguments with, even right now, I dive into Og
code at least twice a day to check for exact behaviour or to make bugfixes
or create new features.

> Also, the code is
> quite technical and also difficult to understand (the number of modules
> and files take a part of that difficulty) . I think it would be great to
> just have a brief documentation that give us a view of nitro's internal,
> like how the compilers, filters and dispatchers are working together and
> why nitro is using annotations or settings for example.

Learning a framework from the inside just takes time and practice, good
developer tools help greatly, 'find in project', big help.

> I have followed nitro for a couple of month and i found it really
> interesting to use. I'm sure George is on the right way to make nitro
> popular and useful for geeks as well for noobs.
> Also, the best gift you could give to a beginner, is perhaps a simple
> model of a dynamic web site with just the minimum functionalities
> (without javascript, ajax, etc) that nitro can give (and not what nitro
> can hide ;). So he can understand how whole the thing interacts,
> discover the power of nitro and share his experience with the community.
> Contrary to spark or nitro blog, the model should just be composed of
> "useful" and various bricks to illustrate nitro's functionalities. So
> you won't need to write documentations up to date.

Well, the plan of spark/flare is indeed to show off what nitro can be
used for.  The 'interesting conglomerat of functionality', I dunno if
it'd really be useful if the only purpose is to show off anything
Nitro can do.

> The videos were a
> good idea, but it is quite hard to follow. At any first difficulty, you
> will lose the thread of the demonstration. Anyway, that is a good
> promotion for nitro.

As always, if outdated it will cause users to 'hang in mid air'.  I
never tried to 'repeat' a screencast, as I find that kind of dumb and
repetitive.  :P  I use screencasts for 'how in general does that guy
do this kind of stuff', just looking for ideas.

> Before Nitro I was never interested in web development because i have
> always found it too messy. As i discovered ruby my point of view has
> radically changed. You are now able to build your own web pages in an
> elegant and "easy" way. And that is what matters.

Yay for Ruby.  ^_^

> To write a tutorial you must know where to go and what is important to
> know. I'm just illiterate in nitro "language" to do it now.
> I hope i will soon be able to offer something useful and break the cycle
> you described.

Take your time, there's no need to hurry.  :)

> Anyway, you have done it really well. You take time to answer questions
> even if like mine (sorry for that) they are not really relevant and
> helpful.

Uh, that is a mere matter of perspective, if you asked, you'll surely
find it helpful if I answer.  Somebody finding me helpful is all I
really crave for.  :P

> You have finally answered to your own interrogation about beginners: It
> is a matter of scope and not only on the programming language level. One
> question could be: How should a variable, an instance or a method be
> accessed between the different files into a nitro application tree to
> make a site dynamic with a MVC approach ?

I have a few graphs for Nitro here, describing part of the Nitro structure,
maybe I can dig those up and hand them to you.. (If I can find them.)
Making a graph of scopes for template/elements/controllers would fit right
there, I'll try to make that.

> Nitro gives us a lot of liberty and that is certainly what is the most
> exciting but what actually makes it difficult to understand.It looks
> certainly trivial to you because you are working with it and participate
> in of its development, but not to us, beginners. It just like that: Do I
> have the right information and how can I use it ? :).

Amen.  :)