[Nitro] Facets 2.0

transfire at gmail.com transfire at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 09:46:50 EST 2007

On Jan 30, 8:37 am, "George Moschovitis"
<george.moschovi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, I planned to convert all
> require 'facet/xxx'
> require 'facets/more/xxx'
> or
> require 'facets/core/xxx'

yes, that's a good thing to do.

> are you implying that core/more will be ...yore in 2.0?

well "said" ;-) but no, not neccessarily. at this point I'm just
exploring how to get rid of facet/ while potentially still offering
the same kind of functionality. the reason core and more are divided
into the require namespaces like that in the first place is b/c
otherwise it's too hard to organize from a developers side of things,
especailly when running rdocs on them. and i've gotten a lot of grief
from the RubyGems and RDoc people about this --they are of the opinion
that "one project == one rdoc", and the fact that there are two sets
of rdocs for facets is stupidity on my part.

on top of this, i don't know how offering stand-alone packages for
each more lib plays into it. I just know that it's something we need
to have to compete well with other project like codeforpeople--and
somehow i have to figure out the best way to do it.

forgetting the past for moment which would you prefer anyway?

  require 'facets/core/...'
  require 'facets/more/...'

  require 'facets/...'

OTOH, it may not matter, I'm still not sure this is 100% perfect, but
as of yet I've had no trouble with it:

  require 'facets'
  require '...'

in any case don't worry about the potential for change in the future.
it's still very far off, and when the time comes if requires need to
change i'll write you a script to do it automatically ;-)