[Nitro] Darcs troubles

Judson Lester nyarly at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 14:09:20 EST 2007

At the risk of chattering up the list too much...

On 2/13/07, Jonathan Buch <john at oxyliquit.de> wrote:
> > You do a darcs pull.  Darcs responds "x, y, and z have conflicts."
> > Rather than have darcs "helpfully" add text to a source file, can I
> > get it to open up (ideally) meld or xxdiff or something, and let me
> > see the differences side by side?  And with the clear annotation that
> > the left is old and the right is new (or local and remote, or
> > whatever)?
> Ah, gotcha now.
> I find it often confusing with darcs, which 'block' of the conflict was
> mine and which one was from others too.  :P

Yeah.  Hence the question about an external merger.

> A conflict though is mostly the product of working on a repo differing
> too much from the main repo in that area one worked on.
> So, pull often from Georges repo, that minimizes the conflicts.  Don't
> pull patches which George has reworked.  This kind of defeats the idea
> of a 'distributed SCM'...
> So, to come to an end:  To not get confused, don't produce conflicts!  :P

Wow.  Those two paragraphs have got to be the single strongest
argument against a particular SCM that I've ever seen.  ;)

> > (And has anyone else used monotone?)
> Hm, nope.  Any good?  Differences, advantages?

Yes, it's good.  For my internal projects, I use monotone.  It's a
distributed SCM, which is, AFAICT, about the end of it's similarity to
darcs.  As far as ease of use, there's a little initial hump to get
over, but the documentation is there.  Including per command on line
help ("mtn init help" returns all the options you need.)  After that,
it's like carrying a Swiss army knife with a backhoe blade.

For instance, I've been interested by Tom's Rachet's thing, but I
basically have mtn repo for gems that I check out to start new
projects.  Whenever I make changes to it, I check it in, and then
propagate back out to my projects, secure that it'll merge correctly.
If you're interested, drop me a line off-list and I'll make you a