[Nitro] [OG] eval and style

Judson Lester nyarly at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 02:48:45 EST 2007

On 2/1/07, transfire at gmail.com <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure.
>
> I'm not sure it should effect subclasses.
>
> However aspects.rb isn't true AOP. I've haven't studied it enough to
> understand exactly how it works. (George is the author). But basically
> it's seems to be more a sophisticated method wrapping system. I've
> wondered on occasion how possible it would be to rewrite aspects.rb on
> top of cuts.rb.

Having spent a couple of hours looking at both, it seems very doable.  However:

The biggest thing that Aspects does that would be tricky to replicate
with cuts is incorporating strings as advice and the methods of advice
modules.  I can see how that could be done, but especially regarding
using Strings, I'm a little dubious.  Is that a feature of Aspects
that's actually used?

Regarding cut.rb, I'm a little leery of how fragile it seems to be.
The comments suggest that it should be that absolute first file
required, which is sort of a smell right there.  It looks like a lot
of the stuff that wants to go into Class and Module might instead be
able to be included into classes that get cut.

Maybe some sort of hybrid library would be preferable?  The
metaprogrammic nicety of cut with the features of aspects, or the
like.

Judson