[Nitro] New Tutorial PDF

Arne Brasseur arne at arnebrasseur.net
Tue Dec 11 04:32:21 EST 2007

Hi William,

Thank you for your not very to the point yet constructive comments. ;) I
see where you are getting at, I just would like to clarify my current
stance, given the current situation and what I see as priorities
documentation-wise.

This tutorial is aimed at people that know how to program, have a
working knowledge of HTML/CSS, have at least used a bit of Ruby before
and know what RDBMS stands for. In time more documentation will be
written which might cater for others. For now I think it makes most
sense to write like geeks like myself that might know their stuff but
just don't know about Nitro, since these are the people we want to
convert to the /light side of the force/. As more Jedis complete their
training the force will grow stronger and it will become possible for
mere mortals to tap into its infinite possibilities.

I personally would rather die than read another tutorial that tells me
how to get water. I understand that there are people that need to be
told where to get the water, what container to bring, how to fill it,
etc. There are also many people that hit the "back" button once they
realise they will be told, again, where the water is.

The Todolist is a simple example with one model, one controller. The
simplest thinkable besides "hello, world". More tutorials will be
written, in time.

(ab)

* William schreef:
> Hey Ame :-)
>
> I like the tutorial idea -- I took a shot at something on a wiki page
> before.  You can see that I have my own faults, so my comments are
> purely for "better-ness", and good.  Also I'm putting on my "adult
> trainer and workplace assessor" hat (not a programs need, XXX hat
> *grin*).
>
> Here are some thoughts, in no particular order.  On Friday I took some
> time out of my life to find a few little toys to use to explain
> "classroom psychology" .... It is impossible to find "human" toy men
> and toy women these days.
>
> I did find :: little 'magno-z <http://haireemagnoz.com/home.htm>' men
> -- made from coloured pipe cleaners with funny faces and weird hair.
> They are pretty cool, I plan to get some more.
>
>     * http://haireemagnoz.com/home.htm
>
> Consider these people as "the audience"; for your material.  I like it
> because I can sit with Chinese people, or Americans, and say :: Here
> is your class.  Here is your market.  Here is your (project/sports)
> team  . . .
>
>     * What do they KNOW already?
>            (Foundation...)
>     * What pre-conceptions do they hold (NOW)?
>       ... "Rails rules", "Google and NASA love Python", C++ is the
>       fastest, etc
>     * What THREE(3) things do I wish them to walk out of the room with?
>     * What  ONE(1) thing do I wish them to do , to ACT on, after class
>       (tutorial, advertisement, etc.)
>
> This understood, I tend to do that evaluation 2nd, or even 3rd (or --
> I used to).  It really matter-z.  Those wee 'magno-z
> <http://haireemagnoz.com/home.htm>' figure men/women -- Don't know
> where they can get to after our tutorial.  Make sense?
>
> There seem to be many assumptions in the tutorial.  And I was not sure
> What "assumed knowledge" I might need.  Ordinarily most of that
> context can be gathered.  NITRO, to me, is for non-database people to
> get something up-and-running.
>
> I spent a very large chunk of my life looking for ways to deliver
> results, and skip the technical gear, and ins and outs. I may be
> taking a too-Right brained approach to this tutorial in that case.
>
> On the other hand, I'd like to see a real-world version of any data
> structures used and where possible, a diagram or 30 diagrams. ;-)  If
> you rec all where you began, "they"(tm) used to tell us to imagine
> explaining the dumbest steps to boil rice.
>
> Do I know how to "fetch water"?  Does the wee 'magno-z
> <http://haireemagnoz.com/home.htm>' figure?
>
> Also ... my personal bias here is that, is a To Do list sufficiently
> real enough?  It needs to be described as a thing I'm familiar with.
> Most "to do"-s are on envelopes.  Can you make it a task tracking
> project?  I think I used an address book -- I saw your phone-number
> question, are we thinking the same thing?
>
> Finally, you need a unbiased person with the equivalent "assumed"
> knowledge to review the tutorial.  Can you teach/use it to, with a
> [...]

Ein Fuchs muß tun, was ein Fuchs tun muß
arne at arnebrasseur.net