[Nitro] New Tutorial PDF

* William william.full.moon at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 08:33:20 EST 2007

Hey Ame :-)

I like the tutorial idea -- I took a shot at something on a wiki page
before.  You can see that I have my own faults, so my comments are purely
for "better-ness", and good.  Also I'm putting on my "adult trainer and
workplace assessor" hat (not a programs need, XXX hat *grin*).

Here are some thoughts, in no particular order.  On Friday I took some time
out of my life to find a few little toys to use to explain "classroom
psychology" .... It is impossible to find "human" toy men and toy women
these days.

I did find :: little 'magno-z <http://haireemagnoz.com/home.htm>' men --
made from coloured pipe cleaners with funny faces and weird hair.  They are
pretty cool, I plan to get some more.

   - http://haireemagnoz.com/home.htm

Consider these people as "the audience"; for your material.  I like it
because I can sit with Chinese people, or Americans, and say :: Here is your
class.  Here is your market.  Here is your (project/sports) team  . . .

   - What do they KNOW already?
   - What pre-conceptions do they hold (NOW)?
   ... "Rails rules", "Google and NASA love Python", C++ is the fastest,
   - What THREE(3) things do I wish them to walk out of the room with?
   - What  ONE(1) thing do I wish them to do, to ACT on, after class
   (tutorial, advertisement, etc.)

This understood, I tend to do that evaluation 2nd, or even 3rd (or -- I used
to).  It really matter-z.  Those wee
figure men/women -- Don't know where they can get to after our tutorial.
Make sense?

There seem to be many assumptions in the tutorial.  And I was not sure What
"assumed knowledge" I might need.  Ordinarily most of that context can be
gathered.  NITRO, to me, is for non-database people to get something

I spent a very large chunk of my life looking for ways to deliver results,
and skip the technical gear, and ins and outs. I may be taking a too-Right
brained approach to this tutorial in that case.

On the other hand, I'd like to see a real-world version of any data
structures used and where possible, a diagram or 30 diagrams. ;-)  If you
rec all where you began, "they"(tm) used to tell us to imagine explaining
the dumbest steps to boil rice.

Do I know how to "fetch water"?  Does the wee

Also ... my personal bias here is that, is a To Do list sufficiently real
enough?  It needs to be described as a thing I'm familiar with.  Most "to
do"-s are on envelopes.  Can you make it a task tracking project?  I think I
used an address book -- I saw your phone-number question, are we thinking
the same thing?

Finally, you need a unbiased person with the equivalent "assumed" knowledge
to review the tutorial.  Can you teach/use it to, with a friend or a
non-family member?

Before you  do this write out those 3 objectives, and at teh end find a
suitable question to ask and assess how that goes.  Do not give the desired
outcome away in the assessment question *grin*

I CC-ed my friend Gayle, she knows not much on computers, she knows about
training adults.  I think I "know too much" to give an unbiased review.  I
know OG is a step beyond everything except a 4GL or NeXT.

If you can get them, George's videos are excellent examples for a first
Nitro app.  Non-trivial and simple as pie.  I wrote step-by-step expose-s on
the first and second ones.  That got lost in the "non-wiki" on nitro.org.

Because a lot does happen in Nitro "by magick", it is much more important to
explain the dumb, trite, and "obviously" stuff such that the reader/student
gets to take in ALL he/she gets with Nitro, or Og, for free.

*  Why n ot have a "Og" tutorial first -- and then you can point people to
the Og tutorial first.  And keep the Nitro tutorial mostly about Nitro and
about the web sites.

Good luck, let us know where we may assist.

... Will

On 09/12/2007, Arne Brasseur <arne at arnebrasseur.net> wrote: I'm not all the
way through with bringing this up to date, but it's
better then before so here goes.