[Nitro] Nitro

Dan North dan at tastapod.com
Sat Aug 25 07:38:09 EDT 2007

I've said this before and I still stand by it: I /get/ nitro. It works
the way I want to work. Rails just doesn't. I want to start small and
grow into an application. For instance, I don't want to even think about
the database until I have a feature that requires persistence. I can't
even /start/ a rails app without a fully-configured mysql or sqlite data
store. That's just dumb.

The thing that really won me over was the little movies on the original
nitro site, where you start with a single class that is the entire app
and break out the model and view as you need to (and not before). Then
the view code got cleaner, and cleaner, until there wasn't even any ruby
in it. Just some very intuitive html-ish tags. Lovely!

I'm not writing ruby web apps in anger right now (I'm stuck in
investment banking Java land) but I can guarantee that when I do, I'll
be using nitro to do it.

Keep up the great work George,
Dan