[Nitro] OG vs Active Record

Mark Van De Vyver mvyver at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 21:42:44 EDT 2007

Hi Jo,

> > Dunno if this is useful to anyone; but so far it's been possible for
> > me to use Og to do most of the work, and just write custom queries as
> > I need them.

Is my understanding of the OG<->db relationship way off the mark to
observe that how much custom code is required will depend on how
sophisticated OG is in generating/processing SQL? This of course is a
function of how much development is done.
Or is there something about mapping objects to db's that means it'll
never be possible to (efficiently) do the more sophisticated things?

> you're correct in that you need custom queries sometimes, but that is
> quite horrible there within the model.  ;)
>
> May I say that VIEWs are really useful?  Please, also consider my Tip
> on http://www.oxyliquit.de/tip/31 , life can only go better.  :P

Thanks for pointing out your tip.
I've a question about defining an object that OG recognizes as a view
rather than a table, I'll post in another thread since it starts to
get off topic.

> I agree on that it only 'moves' the problem, but...  I think it's
> just a whole lot cleaner.

If OG could recognise a 'view' object then it'd all be back in the model?

Cheers
Mark