[Nitro] OG vs Active Record

Mark Van De Vyver mvyver at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 22:49:15 EDT 2007

Thanks for all the effort that has gone into making Nitro/OG available.

I'm relatively new to Ruby and am trying to decide between diving into
ActiveRecord and OG.... I'd appreciate any advice.
The useage case/scenario is:  Single 'amateur' developer, large
numbers of databases, large databases (10'sGB/table, 10's tables/DB),
multiple ruby scripts accessing the dbserver directly (no web
interface - at this stage.)

I understand that this is a little like asking a parent if their child
is beautiful, but was hoping for some frank feedback on the following.

1) Am I right that OG largely overcomes the issues discussed in this
(long) AR thread (I summarize a key issue below):
and here:

A summary of a key AR issue (for me) is:
Whether its in migrations or in the DB schema, I have to specify all
the columns as well as their lengths and unique constraints to have
the database created.  Then I have to specify the validates_* rules
in the model to match.  Finally I have to keep both of them in sync
over time.
Why not do it all inside the model and have that set up all the
validates_* rules in a single step?

2) Has anyone compared the performance of AR vs OG. The following
thread about AR's cpu useage, surprised me:

I see the same performance on my system (script attached).  Has anyone
run this test under OG?

3) How well is MySQL supported (bearing in mind that OG is at 0.5), or
is most development done with Postgresql?  On MySQL, how about the
MyISAM and Memory Engine/tables?

Thanks for any insights.