[Nitro] Gen

Fabian Buch fabian at fabian-buch.de
Wed Sep 20 11:53:53 EDT 2006

Am 20.09.2006 um 14:04 schrieb TRANS:
> Can anyone give me a run down of gen's functionailty --what it is
> inteded to do exactly, how it basically goes about doing it, and the
> current state of development.

gen app

is the only useful generator till 0.31.0. It generates a basic Nitro
application (by copying the proto dir) with a common Nitro directory
layout you can use to go on to develop your own Nitro app.

gen form

works, but with not really useful output imho. Gen scaffolding from
riffraff is supposed to replace this, I think, but see below.

gen part

Plugs Nitro Parts into your Nitro application. This is not needed
with easy parts, that have no content in public/ and if the user
doesn't want to customize it internally. But with bigger parts (am
just developing some) it copies the part into your Nitro application
folder, can be customized and can contain public files, such as
images and stylesheets.
Current state: works stable with 0.40.0 glycerin and will be released
with next Nitro version.

gen scaffolding
gen administration

Both developed by riffraff in his Google Summer of Code project. Gen
scaffolding creates forms I think. Gen administration generates
something like part/admin for your app, but more advanced than part/
Current state: not in official repo. And probably won't get in next
Nitro version (depending on when it'll be released and other
factors). If I find some time I'll mail riffraff about this and
debate about it a little. The main problem: current patches brake
nitro repos. Other problems I have with it include: should think
about whether gen administration couldn't be a part again and if
needed customized by a generator (either gen part, or if really
needed gen administrator). Unless that's sorted out I don't think
these two will get into Nitro releases.

I have more ideas for Gen, especially for gen part, but until then
gen app and gen part work nice and are the main usages behind Gen
(for me).

Nitro Q&A: http://oxyliquit.de/
Blog: http://blog.fabian-buch.de