[Nitro] IRC connection problems

Dimitri Aivaliotis aglarond at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 09:02:59 EDT 2006

On 10/26/06, George Moschovitis <george.moschovitis at gmail.com> wrote:

> i installed gidentd, still doesnt work...
> very strange, btw wtf is identd?

identd is an 'identity server' - it's a holdback from the innocent days of
the internet when everybody trusted everybody else.  Each server would host
an 'identd' to identify users on the system.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identd for more details.

It's not strictly necessary to run an identd in order to connect to
freenode.  I'm connected without one.  But I also have both a forward and
reverse DNS entry for my host, so maybe that plays a role.

Here's a typical connect log for me:

07:14 !irc.freenode.net *** Looking up your hostname...
07:14 !irc.freenode.net *** Checking ident
07:14 !irc.freenode.net *** Found your hostname
07:14 !irc.freenode.net *** No identd (auth) response

If you're still having trouble connecting, try a different server.

- Dimitri