[Nitro] IRC connection problems

Aleksandar Lazic al-nitrogen at none.at
Thu Oct 26 08:44:06 EDT 2006

On Don 26.10.2006 14:27, George Moschovitis wrote:
>i installed gidentd, still doesnt work...
>very strange, btw wtf is identd?

Ident is the protocoll which try to identify a loggedin user:

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1413.txt

The proto is a little bit old, but still in use as many other protos ;-)

>any other unix-guru has any idea?

not really a guru but lets try ;-)

>On 10/26/06, Fabian Buch <fabian at fabian-buch.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 25.10.2006 um 12:19 schrieb George Moschovitis:
>> > I am using xchat-gnome on Ubuntu Edgy, and most of the time I cannot
>> > connect to the IRC channel. Here is the  error message:
>> >
>> > Auto-away plugin 0.4 loaded (using GNOME screensaver)
>> >  Connecting to chat.freenode.net (82.96.64.4) port 6667..
>> >  Connected. Now logging in..
>> >  *** Looking up your hostname...
>> >  *** Checking ident
>> >  *** Couldn't look up your hostname

Looks like there isn't a reverse entry for your ip address.

what do you get on:

host $YOUR_EXTERNAL_IP

>> > The strange thing is that sometimes (perhaps once a day) I *do*
>> > connect after this message is displayed. I cannot connect with Gaim
>> > 2.0 either.
>> >
>> > Any ideass?
>>
>> Just a shot into the blue: identd not running properly?

Regards

Aleks