[Nitro] param handling

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 17:50:57 EDT 2006

George Moschovitis wrote:
> Hey Jonathan,
>
> very descriptive email ;-)
>

>>George wants the first to be possible, I don't.
>

> In my design arguments == parameters. But after reading your nice
> email, I am begining to like your idea to separate args/params. I am
> not yet convinced though. Let's see what others think  about this.

I like the transparency of having arguments in the URL.

I like the idea that a controller and its methods not need have to look
for some magic object holding additional parameters.

   controller/action/baz

would map to

  Controller#action(baz)

while

  controller/action/baz?x=y

would either mean the passing of extraneous arguments, or that the
action must be defined to accept a hash:

  Controller#action(baz, opts={})

I'm not entirely convinced of this, but I wrote a small MVC Web
framework a few weeks ago, and tried to make it as obvious as could be
reasonable.  Later, I saw someone else announced a similar framework,
but he included an ubiquitous 'params' thing.  I hadn't found a need for
that in my work, and I'm wondering if its inclusion is all that good.

--
James Britt

"People want simple stories."