[Nitro] Nitro Development

George Moschovitis george.moschovitis at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 15:44:41 EDT 2006

Jonathan + Tom,

In general I agree with what you are saying. I still thing that
Jonathan's email is quite harsh on me, but that is not the big issue
here. The issue is how to move Nitro forward.

Regarding the communication problem, let me remind you that I was in
the Army for this past year. But now my service is over. The last
month I have immediately applied all patches that I have received, and
generally answered all emails. Well, I realize that during my absence,
people started using other repos, but I cannot do much now.

The current version of my repository passes all tests (except some
tests in tc_controller_params, but there are several issues here, some
of them will be detailed in a forthcoming message by Jonathan). Most
examples either are runnable or will be runnable in the next couple of
days. I think that the best way to move this project forward is for
the core developers to try to port their applications to my repo
version. I know this is not that hard (the changes are minimal) and
Jonathan seems to agree with this too (he said so in a recent
conversation). And frankly, there dont seem to be that many core
developers these days.

I totally agree with Tom that Nitro needs shorter and more frequent
releases. But not so small as he suggests. I think the proposed
breakdown of features into 0.40 and 0.42 that Jonathan suggested is
quite ok.

Regarding the RCS issue, I suggest that we stay with Darcs for the
next couple of versions. In the meantime we can continue discussing
about moving to svn or something like bazaar. Even though I prefer a
decentralized rcs, we can go to svn if that makes the project more
accessible to more people.

About the rcs commit privileges, I would also like to propose for the
next couple of  versions (ie for November) that I remain the sole
commiter, to keep things easier to manage. During this time, we can
identify the members of the community that truly have the will, time
and ability to join the core developers team. For example, I know that
people such as Tom have the ability and will, but I am not sure about
time.

Finally, we can find another person to handle community relations and
eventually the repository. Bryan used to do a *great* job here, it is
truly a shame that he got discouraged and left the project.

I am open to more discussions on this topic. But at the same time, let
me remind you that I need some real help to get 0.40 out of the door.
Where you can help?

- verify that og tests pass with postgres (fix possible bugs)
- verify that og tests pass sqlite
- report any bugs
- create new packaging scripts: The current reap version seems to need
the latest version of facets that breaks nitro. Can we find a solution
here?
- Something that I am missing?

Of course there are more things you can do. For example create
screencasts about how you use Nitro, have a look at doc/TODO, claim
and implement a feature or two. Or you can send emails to the list
with requests about stuff you would like to see.

Remember, I have put a *lot* of effort into Nitro, and I want this
project to go to the next level. I fully *realize* that I cannot do
this alone. But I need some *real* help, not just remarks and
proposals.

kind regards,
George

--