[Nitro] Nitro IRC Meeting

Dan North dan at tastapod.com
Sun Oct 15 20:00:46 EDT 2006

Hi folks.

I've been a long-time lurker on this list, and a long-time fan of Nitro
and Og, since Aidan first showed them to me.

It seems to me that while Rails is the poster child and is getting all
the press, Nitro is how I /want/ to write web apps in Ruby. I /get/
Nitro. I don't get Rails. I've introduced several people to Nitro, and I
describe it as Webwork to Rails's Struts. Where Struts got all the press
for Java web apps, all the smart kids use Webwork.

I still haven't had the opportunity to write a proper web-facing app in
anger in Ruby, but when I do, the choice of framework will be a
no-brainer for me.

As an enthusiastic observer, please let me encourage you guys to realise
the potential of Nitro and Og as being the framework real developers
will use to write real, enterprise scale Ruby apps.

We all know the active record model doesn't scale. That's why O/R
mapping is still the big, ugly monster that it is.

Take a leaf from the Django community's book. Those guys have a simple
mission: to make Django the Python web platform of choice for anyone.
Period.

 From what I've seen of Nitro, I believe it can be the same thing for Ruby.

Thanks for listening,
Dan