[Nitro] Ratchets, two final issues. Please help.

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 20:39:45 EDT 2006

On 10/5/06, George Moschovitis <george.moschovitis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance, I feel a little bit lost with all these names.
> What exactly is ratchets and where can I download it? I understand it
> is some kind of a Reap replacement?

That's right. Working on Reap, Rolls and Sow I realized I was making
things much more complex than they needed to be. These projects were
largely dependent so did an expirement and merged them. Well,
everything came together like magic and so Ratchets was born. Of
course it took some time to take full advantage of the merger but I'm
getting very close to a first release now.

The neat thing is, you can view Ratchets as library of build tools,
like Facets is a library of programming tools. But of course  Rathcets
comes with some front-end commands too to make it easy to put them to

P.S. Has anyone noticed that Ryan Davis is immitating me? He recently
released Hoe which is essentially what Reap was when I first created
it. Then he released an ascii-pictoral html table generator
--something I did years ago. Now he's added a 'sow' command which is
basically the same as my 'seed' command and conflicts with the
namespace of my Sow project. Crazy. I wonder if he has any idea. How
ironically lucky for him though, with the advent of Ratchets, it
doesn't really matter (What was Sow will rebubbed Roll and be built on
top of Ratchets which has 90% of needed functionality; and what was
Roll is just library.rb now and is include in Ratchets).