[Nitro] Ratchets, two final issues. Please help.

Fabian Buch fabian at fabian-buch.de
Thu Oct 5 08:39:10 EDT 2006

Am 04.10.2006 um 22:04 schrieb TRANS:
> I'm closing in on an first release of Ratchets. I'm down to two
> outstanding major issues.

Looking forward to it :)

> 1) Whether to name the lib directory 'ratchet' or 'ratchets'. I'm
> stuck on this b/c  on one hand I usually avoid plurals, but in this
> case the name of the project itself is ratchets, plural. So I'm not

I prefer ratchets (plural). It's easier to remember if the project is
called ratchets. And as another example: rubygems (the lib dir is in
plural too, even if the command (gem) is in singular). If you had a
command "ratchet" instead of "project" the command should be singular
probably, but "project" is nicer indeed.

> 2) Ratchets' main command line tool is called 'project'. Like 'rake'
> My debate is whether it works well enough to have both modes of
> functionality in the same command. (Note task definitions take
> precedence if there is a name clash.) I sort of worry that someone
> will go to run a task they think is there and inadvertently run a
> tool. But maybe I'm over blowing it. But if I did split it into two
> command, I have no idea what to call the other. Or maybe there is a
> way to mitigate the issue? Thoughts?

I think it's okay like you described. The problem still exists if
users don't know all project keywords and just override them with
their task definition. Overriding is ok I think, but maybe you could
give a "WARNING" on command line.

Just my thoughts.

Nitro Q&A: http://oxyliquit.de/
Blog: http://blog.fabian-buch.de