[Nitro] SCGI

Bill Kelly billk at cts.com
Wed Oct 4 19:28:24 EDT 2006

From: "George Moschovitis" <george.moschovitis at gmail.com>
>I removed SCGI, this is not maintained any more. Please use mongrel instead.
> nitro --mongrel will do the trick or you can set
> Nitro.adapter = :mongrel
> for the same effect.

OK, thanks.  I'll switch to mongrel.

In the hopes that any users Googling or searching the mailing
list might benefit, I'll post my progress so far.

Executive summary:

  Mongrel working nicely, but my Apache 1.3.33 apparently
  was not compiled with --enable-proxy, etc.

  Attempt to replace Nitro + SCGI + Apache 1.3.33
  with Nitro + mongrel (reverse proxy) + Apache 1.3.33
  on debian 3.1 stable.

 $ sudo gem install -y mongrel

   mongrel was installed.

 $ ruby run.rb --mongrel

   Yay! It works! . . . .
   Except the "Content-length: 1234" header is showing
   as part of the document result.
   Google reveals this is an issue reported with,
   and reverting to was recommended in some posts.

 $ sudo gem uninstall mongrel
 $ sudo gem install -v mongrel
 $ ruby run.rb --mongrel
   Yay! It works!
   Now to set up the apache proxy ala the instructions
   for Rails at http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/apache.html

 $ sudo vi /etc/apache/conf.d/Vhosts.conf

    <VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName my.site.com
        # ...
        ProxyRequests off
        ProxyPass / http://my.site.com:8888/
        ProxyPassReverse / http://my.site.com:8888
        ProxyPreserveHost on

 $ sudo apachectl graceful      // failed
 $ sudo apachectl configtest    // failed
    Syntax error on line 127 of /etc/apache/conf.d/Vhosts.conf:
    Invalid command 'ProxyRequests', perhaps mis-spelled or defined
    by a module not included in the server configuration

It appears my Apache 1.3.33 apparently was not compiled with
 --enable-proxy, etc.

I have left off here for now, but anticipate recompiling Apache
with the appropriate proxy config options will clear the final