[Nitro] Problems with String#hash

Dan North dan at tastapod.com
Sat Nov 25 15:23:29 EST 2006

It sounds like you need to do a bit of data forensics - finding out
which version of Ruby on which platform created those hashes. If you can
get them back to the original strings (??) and then externalise them
again as a standard hash - say an MD5 sum - then you're good again. If
not, you'll need to excavate the algorithm that created the original
hashes, and keep it somewhere as custom code. Otherwise, you're right -
your data is useless...

Good luck,