[Nitro] ratchets, parts and plugins

transfire at gmail.com transfire at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 18:43:07 EST 2006

Fabian Buch wrote:
> Am 20.11.2006 um 16:04 schrieb transfire at gmail.com:
> > Are there any conditions in which this would not be enough to handle
> > plugins for nitro? If so, it should be easy enough to build a wrapper
> > around this basic functionality. But I would like to know what they
> > would be, b/c maybe there are some general improvements that can be to
> > this plugin system.
>
> Parts are indeed a little bit different to usual plugins. They are
> not like usual libraries.
>
> Imagine the following usecase: a Blogsystem (like flare) could be
> implemented as Part. Integrating it into several other of my nitro
> apps (for example extending Oxyliquit with a Blog), could be done via
> requiring this part into these apps.
> Now some of these apps might need a little bit customized blog system
> and would use this blog part just as basis, build up on it, change it
> and customize it. That's easily done, if you copy the Part to the
> app. Not so with a library that's used by all of the apps in the same
> way (except configurations and such).
>
> Additionally imagine I share this Part and release new versions over
> time. People will have integrated it into their apps and customized
> it to their needs, maybe in a way that makes it incompatible with
> newer versions released by me. Maybe some users like to stick to
> their customized one for some apps, but use a new version for newer
> apps (again likely to customize it).
>
> In these cases copying is the preferable way.
>
> Additionally take into account that Parts can include stylesheets,
> images and similar that have to be in a folder accessable by the
> webserver (in Nitro public/).
>
> These two things are what "gen part" handles via copying at the
> moment. If your ratchets could to this (how exactly could that be
> "wrapped around this basic functionality"?) it'd be great to replace
> gen.
>
> External helpers (discussed a month ago or so, then called
> "components") are more like pure libraries and probably would fit
> perfectly into your ratchets plugin grid.

Thanks Fabian. That really helped clarify things for me. I see your
point about the the need for parts. In an ideal world all "parts" would
be require-reusable, but obviously reality is often quite a bit
messier. So it makes sense to also have more malliable copy-and-paste
pieces.

Let's do this, I'll put the Parts Tool on the todo list and return to
it after the initial release of Ratchets. I'm getting damn close to
release (finally) and I don't want to hold it up further at the moment.
Then we can come back to the topic and give it more time and thought to
make sure we can get a good general purpose utility that does the job
well.

T.