[Nitro] Serious discussion on Annotaitons - Part II

Jonas Pfenniger zimba.tm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 14:48:19 EST 2006

On 02/11/06, transfire at gmail.com <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jonas Pfenniger wrote:
> > Perhaps the real problem is that Annotation is just too generic. You
> > can 't keep it simple and have all the features. Especially the
> > inheritance. So what are the boundaries of the annotation system ?
> >
> > * inheritance ?
> > * type-casting system ?
> > * central storage ?
> > * default settings ?
> > * description ?
> >
> > What do you envision it beeing used for ?
>
> Perhaps you are suggesting that the annotations system not be a single
> univeral interface?  Martin Fowler is thinking along these lines at
> http://martinfowler.com/bliki/RubyAnnotations.html.

No, what I'm saying is that you're trying to solve too many problems
at the same time. That  makes annotations not really usefull. Nitro is
full of them and I'm not convinced that if wouldn't look better
without them or with a more targetted configuration system. I don't
have real arguments but it's a kind of feeling. Most of all I think
that it encourages a style of code that I'm not particularily fond of.
If you want I can elaborate.

--
Cheers,
  zimbatm