[Nitro] Dedicated Hosting

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 01:43:54 EST 2006

Zed A. Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:13:45 +0200
> "George Moschovitis" <george.moschovitis at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Dear devs,
>>
>>I am looking for a dedicated server provider. Can anyone recomment a
>>dedicated hosting  service?
>

> Hey George, have you considered Amazon EC2 or Media Temple's
 > Grid thing (I forget the name)?  EC2 is interesting in that you
> can actually use it to "prototype" your deployment.  You set everything
> up on your computer at home, then when you need to test stuff you kick
> on the EC2 instance, rsync or S3 the changes over, and play with it.

There's a lot to be said for running under a VM, though the overhead of
being virtual might be too much.    I've only recently started looking
at Xen and EC2, though.

> Once everything is working great, you just turn the EC2 image on full
 >  time.  I believe running it full time costs around 70/month USD.

Plus storage and bandwidth costs.  I was considering that myself, but
decided I was better off with what I have now from EV1Servers.net

> Downside:  No static IP addresses.  You'd probably have to get some
 > DNS hosting or such.

Other downside: it's in beta.

--
James Britt