[Nitro] Dedicated Hosting

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Nov 1 21:00:11 EST 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:13:45 +0200
"George Moschovitis" <george.moschovitis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear devs,
>
> I am looking for a dedicated server provider. Can anyone recomment a
> dedicated hosting  service?

Hey George, have you considered Amazon EC2 or Media Temple's Grid thing (I forget the name)?  EC2 is interesting in that you can actually use it to "prototype" your deployment.  You set everything up on your computer at home, then when you need to test stuff you kick on the EC2 instance, rsync or S3 the changes over, and play with it.

Once everything is working great, you just turn the EC2 image on full time.  I believe running it full time costs around 70/month USD.

Downside:  No static IP addresses.  You'd probably have to get some DNS hosting or such.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://safari.oreilly.com/0321483502 -- The Mongrel Book
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/