[Nitro] Dedicated Hosting

Dan North dan at tastapod.com
Wed Nov 1 18:22:00 EST 2006

Full disclosure: I get no kickback from this - I'm just a happy
customer. But if you mention me when you order I might get something nice :)

I've been using Solar VPS for the last few months (http://solarvps.com).
They're inexpensive ($30/month for my needs), they provide a debian
image (which I immediately dist-upgraded to debian/testing).

They have a European datacentre as well as one in the US. When I
dist-upgraded, I was getting gigabit speeds to the German debian
mirrors! And their support guys are pretty decent too.

I'm running several wordpress blogs, several wikis, mysql, postfix mail
server, courier imap server, the usual stuff. Not super high traffic, so
I don't know how they will cope under real stress, but I've been very
happy so far.

Oh, it's a VPS with full root access (via ssh), and basic, web-based
start/stop/reboot/recover. Can't remember if they offer an Ubuntu image.
My package guarantees 256Mb of memory, but for the last couple of months
I've had most of 4Gb! (Of course this will reduce over time as they add
more nodes).

hth,
Dan