[Nitro] Dedicated Hosting

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 10:25:04 EST 2006

On 11/1/06, George Moschovitis <george.moschovitis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks  for the detailed email. I am looking for a server to host a
> high-traffic web site. (But I would like to see affordable options as
> well).

Unless the extra 100ms latency on packets is going to impose a
significant problem for the site, I have seen nothing better than the
hetzner.de offering.

$79 euros/month gets one a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core with 2Gb
of ram and 2 300Gb drives with 1000Gb of bandwidth on a gigabit NIC,
running Ubuntu.   If one exceeds that 1000Gb in a month, they throttle
you back to a 10mbit port speed but don't charge you extra.  Compare
to a leading US company, like ServerBeach.  Their offering with the
closes specs is $259/month USD, which is about $200 EUR.  Same RAM,
same CPU, 2 x 160Gb drives.  2000Gb/month, but on a 10mbit port.

Really compare that to the US companies. You won't find a single one
of them that comes close to this.  If there is one, I'd love to hear
about it!

I have customers for whom a US based hosting company is important,
from the point of view of their corporate policies (a very large US
bank and a whole bunch of US mutual fund companies), but on several
new, hopefully high traffic sites that are going to be coming online
soon, where that consideration isn't an issue, I'm personally going
with hetzner machines.  They've been strongly suggested to me by
Stefan Schmiedl.  If you are going to Euruko this week, ask him about
his experiences with them.

Kirk Haines