[Nitro] [OT] Roll n' Rain

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 12:04:16 EDT 2006

On 6/29/06, Bryan Soto <bryan.a.soto at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unless you're concerned with people running Ruby on Win3.1 or MS-DOS,
> you don't have that restriction of 8.3 characters anymore. Heck,
> browsing my registered extensions on WinXP, Microsft has registered
> DVR-MS (Microsoft Recorded TV Show) as an extension. Case
> insensitivity for filenames still applies though. :)

Boy, I've been away from Windows for a long time ;-)

Turns out that it wont matter though. There will be no need for a
special file format after all. Rock can just take any old source
package (tar.gz, tar.bz2 or zip) and use that. Plus I just taught it
accept gems too. Which means you can take a gem and automatcally
repackage it in another package format or even install as another
format transparently! There still details in the conversion to take
care of, but all the basics are working.

Looks like Rock will have effects on Reap too. I've already converted
Reap's package task to use Rock. So the next version of Reap will have
a dependency on it. But Rock is also pushing Reap to go beyond the
single ProjectInfo file solution, actually this is also an influence
of GoboLinux resources too which prove to be a rather elegant
solution. No worries though, I'll keep compatiability with PrjectInfo
for some time to come. But I looking at moving toward a dedicated
subdir where certain pieces of data can be more appropriately split
up, rather than having one monolithic file. The dir, which Rock
already uses, is called meta/. In it one will be able to put not only
project info, but project tasks, pre and post install scripts --even
scripts to a distribution, crypotgraphic signitures, etc.

Thought you all would like to know.

T.