[Nitro] [OT] Roll n' Rain

Dimitri Aivaliotis aglarond at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 04:06:38 EDT 2006

On 6/28/06, Aidan Rogers <aidan at yoyo.org> wrote:

> My favourite package management system is the ports system used by
> FreeBSD.  This allows a combination of binary packages and source
> file compilations to be used interchangeably.  I wanted to create
> something similar to that, which would handle arbitrarily
> installation of ruby stuff (as long as the package defined a way to
> 'make' itself and a way to define dependencies).  I'll probably still
> have a go at doing this (should it be called Rorts? (http://
> www.allwords.com/word-rort.html) :-) ).

Why not go one step further, and have no package definition, per se?  What
I'm talking about here is a dream of mine that I've had for years: an
intelligent package management system.  Take the versioning that Roll does
already, add the package management capability of Rock (it is Rock now,
isn't it?), extend that to read the INSTALL and/or README of the source
bundle itself, and expand that to cover ALL software on the system (not just
Ruby), and you've got that dream of mine realized.  The really hard part, of
course, is the parsing of the INSTALL/README file to get the dependencies
and figure out how to install the software...  Some sane defaults could be
assumed (./configure;make;make install for a lot of things); intelligent
error-handling would be needed.  A peer-to-peer caching mechanism for
working/already-parsed packages could be implemented so that the packager
wouldn't have to start from scratch each time...  Then, you could just give
the packager the URL for the source bundle to be installed, it will download
it, unpack it, compile it (if necessary), and install it onto the system,
keeping track of dependencies and versions all the while. :)

Anyways, just quickly jotting-down some stuff I've been thinking about for
awhile.

Anyway, cool stuff T.  I've not had a chance to actually play with it

Same here, but look forward to it. :)

- Dimitri