[Nitro] [OT] Roll n' Rain

Aidan Rogers aidan at yoyo.org
Wed Jun 28 10:33:23 EDT 2006

I really think you need to rename Rain to Rock.  Having a package
management duo called Rock and Roll is too good and opportunity to
miss :-)

I'm sorry I didn't get time to help you with this - I know we talked
about it a bit.  I think you implemented something very different to
what I had in mind, but still it's cool to see something to challenge
(the frankly awful) gems.

My favourite package management system is the ports system used by
FreeBSD.  This allows a combination of binary packages and source
file compilations to be used interchangeably.  I wanted to create
something similar to that, which would handle arbitrarily
installation of ruby stuff (as long as the package defined a way to
'make' itself and a way to define dependencies).  I'll probably still
have a go at doing this (should it be called Rorts? (http://
www.allwords.com/word-rort.html) :-) ).

Anyway, cool stuff T.  I've not had a chance to actually play with
the code (t - 3 days to beta for SyncBridge) but will soon.

Aidan