[Nitro] [OT] Roll n' Rain

Michael Fellinger manveru at weez-int.com
Tue Jun 27 22:34:45 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 04:35, James Britt wrote:

> >>Have you thought about authentication and code signing?
> >
> > I'd like to work that in eventually, yes. Want to do?
> Ha ha ha!
> :)
> Actually, it's an interesting problem, but I've no time lately.
> What do other, similar tools do?  Is an MD5 signature enough?
> It's not a critical issue for me; I see a real value in having a central
> server in a known subnet serving up code to distributed apps, where
> trust is already established.

Ok, wait, you want to tell me that i finally can have _one_ base-install of
nitro that i could patch and all my machines can just pick it up on the fly?

that would be _so_ sweeet, totally what that net-require would have done (i
remember a total hype about it some months ago on the ruby-lang ML), but in a
large scale...

the on-demand-loading should cache though - and only check for
I think a usual MD5 or SHA1 should be enough... however, one could include
some host-signature as well, kind of like ssh does with its trusted-hosts

> >>Mighty contentious claim there.
> >
> > Well, I've been talking about it for awhile and Austin's been giving
> > me a hard time about for just as long. So I've had incentive ;)
> But you know the matter is only partly technical. There is an installed
> gems user base, a growing popularity (or at least familiarity) with
> gems, and an expectation that gems will get rolled into Ruby code at
> some point.

Once that stuff uses gems as well i won't be using something else anymore...
also, if you want a mirror for any future repository - i already reserved some
space for you.

The thing with the social context is very true... the problem being - rubygems
is widely accepted now - mainly through excellent projects using it, but
well, given some years and effort, who knows if we not might have a