[Nitro] [OT] Roll n' Rain

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 15:35:48 EDT 2006

TRANS wrote:

>>>While Rain can download drop packages from the internet (on the fly
>>>too). I haven't added dependency handling. I'm not sure about that
>>>yet. I sometimes think it would be nice to revive RPA to handle this
>>>side of things.
>>
>>Have you thought about authentication and code signing?
>

> I'd like to work that in eventually, yes. Want to do?

Ha ha ha!

:)

Actually, it's an interesting problem, but I've no time lately.

What do other, similar tools do?  Is an MD5 signature enough?

It's not a critical issue for me; I see a real value in having a central
server in a known subnet serving up code to distributed apps, where
trust is already established.

>>Mighty contentious claim there.
>

> Well, I've been talking about it for awhile and Austin's been giving
> me a hard time about for just as long. So I've had incentive ;)

But you know the matter is only partly technical. There is an installed
gems user base, a growing popularity (or at least familiarity) with
gems, and an expectation that gems will get rolled into Ruby code at
some point.

--
James Britt

"A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is
not worth knowing."
   - A. Perlis