[Nitro] [OT] Roll n' Rain

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 15:35:48 EDT 2006

TRANS wrote:

>>>While Rain can download drop packages from the internet (on the fly
>>>too). I haven't added dependency handling. I'm not sure about that
>>>yet. I sometimes think it would be nice to revive RPA to handle this
>>>side of things.
>>Have you thought about authentication and code signing?
> I'd like to work that in eventually, yes. Want to do?

Ha ha ha!

Actually, it's an interesting problem, but I've no time lately.

What do other, similar tools do?  Is an MD5 signature enough?

It's not a critical issue for me; I see a real value in having a central
server in a known subnet serving up code to distributed apps, where
trust is already established.

>>Mighty contentious claim there.
> Well, I've been talking about it for awhile and Austin's been giving
> me a hard time about for just as long. So I've had incentive ;)

But you know the matter is only partly technical. There is an installed
gems user base, a growing popularity (or at least familiarity) with
gems, and an expectation that gems will get rolled into Ruby code at
some point.

James Britt

"A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is
not worth knowing."
   - A. Perlis